FIFA WM 2010, Pressespiegel
12. Januar 2010
'You cannot compare Angola with SA'
The gun attack on Togo's team bus in Angola before the start of the African Nations Cup will have no impact on the World Cup in South Africa this year, chief World Cup organiser Danny Jordaan said on Saturday.
Two members of Togo's national soccer delegation died on Saturday following an ambush on Friday, a team member told French radio.
The attack, in which the driver was killed and seven injured, took place in Cabinda, a province where guerrillas have fought a secession campaign for decades.
Togolese officials named the dead men as media officer Stanislas Ocloo and assistant coach Amalete Abalo, and said reserve goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale had been evacuated to Johannesburg for medical treatment.
"It has no impact on our World Cup," Jordaan told Reuters from Luanda where he is to act as match commissioner for Sunday's Nations Cup opener between Angola and Mali.
"The world understands that sovereign countries are responsible for their own safety and security and to say what happened in Angola impacts on the World Cup in South Africa is the same as suggesting that when a bomb goes off in Spain, it threatens London's ability to host the next Olympics.
"It is nonsensical for South Africa to be tainted with what happens in Angola, which is not even one of our neighbouring countries."
Jordaan said the bus attack was a blow for Nations Cup hosts Angola.
"I feel very sorry for the Angolans because they have spent billions on fixing up their cities and building infrastructure for this tournament. This was going to be the event that would mark their transition from decades of war to a new social and economic order. In that context, it's a blow."
By MARK GLEESON | CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA - Jan 09 2010 18:24
Source: Mail & Guardian, http://www.mg.co.za/article/2010-01-09-you-cannot-compare-angola-with-sa